Friday, March 23, 2007

Setting Up a Diaper Changing Area

As requested, here is my advice on how to set up a diaper changing area for your little one.

First, choose your area, which can be anything from a real changing table you purchase (though I don't really advise this because it is not a very useful piece of furniture after your baby gets bigger) to a dresser or file cabinet with a sturdy top.

Second, gather your supplies. There is a variety of supplies marketed for diaper changing, but here would be my recommended list of what to have.
1. a changing pad
2. 2-3 changing pad covers
3. 4-8 lap pads (small water-proof thick pads)
4. diapers
5. wipes
6. a spray bottle
7. very soft papertowels (Viva brand works well) &/or cotton squares (for newborns)
8. diaper ointment
9. talc-free baby powder (optional - I like Burt's Bees Baby Bee powder)
10. lotion for after baths (I only use this on older babies though)
10. a diaper pail
(I also recommend putting your laundry basket and trash can close by the changing area for easy disposal of things)

Third, you set it all up! Here's how I do it.
I put the changing pad cover on the changing pad, and then place usually two lap pads down covering the area where the baby will lay. This is for your first line of defense against poop and pee, so that if it gets on stuff or if your baby starts going while your changing him/her, all you have to do is throw the lap pad in the laundry and lay another one down. This is much easier than having to change the changing pad cover everytime.

With newborns, I recommend using the cotton squares and papertowels with water sprayed on them instead of wipes. Even the most sensitive wipes have chemicals in them that can be harsh on newborn skin.

Some people put diaper creme/ointment or powder on their babies all of the time. I only really use this on red bottoms to prevent a more serious diaper rash. Sometimes I'll use the powder on my younger baby's bottom if it is a little red or seems to be staying too damp from all of her rolls! This can create diaper rash or heat rash, which can be prevented with the use of powder.

Also, using some sort of hanging organizer is very helpful as a way to store all of this stuff close by. And make sure to put the wipes in a place that is VERY accessible!

Any questions? Happy Diapering!

1 comment:

Melissa B said...

Thanks Holly! I really appreciate all of the specifics :)