Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Basic List of Pregnancy 'No-no's

When someone first finds out their pregnant, the first piece of information I like to get to them is the basic things they should avoid now that they know they're pregnant, most of which are foods. So, here's my list...can anyone think of anything else to add?

During Pregnancy, Avoid:
1. soft cheeses, such as brie and Mexican cheeses
2. certain types of fish, like Shark or Swordfish (I know its safe to stick with Salmon and Orange or White Roughy)
3. certain herbs, for more information, go to http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/naturalherbsvitamins.html
4. pretty much anything raw that comes from an animal (raw fish, sushi, raw meat, raw eggs)
5. excessive caffeine
6. tap water
7. hot dogs (and some people recommend not eating lunch meat either, it is because of the nitrates in them)
8. alcohol
9. smoking
10. most drugs (obviously all illegal drugs, but even a lot of over-the-counter drugs shouldn't be taken when pregnant. Consult your doctor for what IS safe to use during pregnancy)
11. hot tubbing
12. X-rays
13. kitty litter (presents a risk of toxoplasmosis)
14. electric blankets
15. standing in front of microwaves
16. too much Vitamin A
17. toxic fumes and chemicals
18. sky diving (I'm just assuming on this one :)

For a more complete list of the foods you should avoid during pregnancy, go to
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/foodstoavoid.html

Here are a few books specifically related to your help during pregnancy that will also list more information on this subject:


2 comments:

Melissa B said...

Thanks Holly! I like to eat sandwiches for lunch, so I did ask my midwife if that was ok since I was eating a lot of deli meat. She said it is fine as long as it is fresh. I know everyone differs in their opinion, but I trust her and feel like she knows what she is talking about. I do stay away from hot dogs though!

Unknown said...

so much to remember! i'm sure it will get easier, right? i just learned that my face wash with salicylic acid is just as bad as taking asprin! i ran to the store and bought burt's bees face wash with only natural stuff in it.