Wednesday, February 7, 2007

What to Register For

Catherine,
I'm glad you asked! (And congrats, I hear you're having a boy!) That was one of the next posts I wanted to write! What should you register for? is such a big question for most new mothers. I remember when my friend and I went to register with our first babies, and we were so overwhelmed by the process. It has since become one of my favorite things to help new mothers-to-be figure out what they really need and what is not really necessary. Of course, it varies from mom to mom, and what one mother may think is a bare necessity may be total waste to another. It also varies from baby to baby. With my first, swaddle blankets were an essential, with Hope I don't use them at all. So some things you can get one of, and don't open the package until you see if you need it. Then you can always get more if you use it. For example, some moms-to-be buy expensive breast pumps and large sets of bottles and stuff, only to find out that they never pump or bottle feed because it is a hassle. I highly recommend waiting on that kind of stuff...register for one of the cheaper manual pumps (I recommend Avent Isis) and get two or three bottles, then get more later if you are finding you really need it and are using it (you can also upgrade to a better pump if you are using it often).

So, here's my list!
(And I wouldn't recommend registering for much clothing, if any at all, because people always buy clothes, and since they're seasonal, what you register for may not be there when people shop anyway)


New Mother’s Baby Essentials Checklist

Car seat*
Stroller*
Crib sheets
Mattress pad
Changing pad & covers
Pacifiers (& keeper)
Breast pump & a few bottles
Bathtub*
Towels
Washcloths
Burp cloths
Lap pads
Thermometer
Nail clippers
Diaper cream
Spray bottle
Cotton balls & squares
Rubbing alcohol
Baby wash & lotion
Comb & brush
Infant Tylenol
Baby monitor*
Swing*
Basic clothing
Socks, hats, etc.
A few receiving blankets
Mobile*
Play gym*
Bobby*
A few basic toys
Pack n’ Play*
Sleep Positioner
Mirror for car
Swaddle me blanket

For mom:
Nursing pads
Nursing bras
Maxi pads
Lansinoh

*things that can be bought used

1 comment:

Melissa B said...

I have heard that electric pumps are a lot easeir than manual ones. Everyone I know use manual pumps. For me I know that Dan is going to be taking care of our little boy when I want/need to go out. And we want nights were we want to go out by ourselves. So I know I will need a few bottles on a regular basis. I am actually going to use a friend's Pump-in-Style Medela breast pump. I am going to either buy or steralize all of the pieces. I know the company doesnt recommend sharing, but I have looked into it and feel good about this decision. Those I know who use breaast pumps recommend Medela... Hope this helps.