Monday, February 26, 2007

Treating Cradle Cap

Cradle cap is basically a nice name for baby dandruff, a common "problem" with infants that isn't really a problem other than cosmetically. It definitely bothers mom more than baby! :)

However, since it was something that happened fairly severely with both of my children, and someone told me a great way to treat it, I thought I'd share my info. There are pricy kits you can buy to treat it, or some places/people say to put baby oil on it, but I have found a much better remedy. Baby oil (the mineral oil in it) is actually rather bad for your baby and I don't recommend using it on them at all. Burt's Bees Baby Bee products are great, and they have apricot oil that they sell that is a much better alternative for oil on your baby. It can be used if you want an oil to massage your baby with too.

Anyway, I use the apricot oil on my baby's scalp, pretty lavishly, and rub it in really well. Then I use a soft baby brush to brush the scaly skin off, then give her a bath and wash her hair. It works wonderfully! Just wanted to share this helpful tip of advice a mom passed on to me!

1 comment:

Barbie said...

also, if your baby (like mine) isn't really sensitive to products, you can use regular dandruff shampoo in small quantities, with a toothbrush.